Wednesday, November 30, 2011

1930s Feedsack Fabric Prints



One of my favorite fabrics to collect and to work with are 1930's replica feedsack fabrics.  The very resourceful women dealing with the financial hardships of the Great Depression years used to repurpose animal feed and flour sacks into clothing, curtains, quilts, and a lot of other necessary handsewn things.  The prints are always bright and cheery and have a neat retro, vintage feel to them.  Once again, I can go into a quilt/fabric shop with nothing in mind other to windowshop and, more than likely, come home with two or three new fat quarters to add to my stash.

A quilt with many of these vibrant colors and patterns is definitely on my must-do list.  It would be an honor for me to pay tribute to those women of the past by creating my own little piece of their lives.  Quilts are sewn together with love; this one would have some history and resourcefulness thrown in for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment