Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I've Got Plenty To Be Thankful For


"I've Got Plenty To Be Thankful For" by Bing Crosby

I was thinking the other day.  I had so much fun looking for Halloween-themed songs--and I hope you enjoyed them, too--that I started brainstorming songs for the Thanksgiving season.

The only one that popped into my head is the wonderful old hymn "We Gather Together".  While that is certainly an appropriate song, why aren't there any more?  Seems like being thankful for your blessings would be a wonderful thing to set to words and music.

Then, while drying my hair this morning (I get a lot of good ideas while drying my hair; must be warming to the brain!), I thought of one: "I've Got Plenty To Be Thankful For", written by the great Irving Berlin and sung in the movie "Holiday Inn" (1942) by the great Bing Crosby.

"Holiday Inn" is one of my favorite movies, although the political correctness police would be on my butt in an instant for loving a movie with a blackface routine (I have to admit I cringe a little when it is on) and a black Mammy-style maid with her two ragamuffin children.  But it's a product of our history and we can't go back and change it, no matter how much we want to.

Listen to the words and think of all you have to be thankful for.  I know I have many blessings that I need to acknowledge to the man upstairs.

"I've got plenty to be thankful for
I haven't got
A great big yacht
To sail from shore to shore
Still I've got plenty to be thankful for

I've got plenty to be thankful for
No private car
No caviar
No carpet on my floor
Still I've got plenty to be thankful for

I've got eyes to see with
Ears to hear with
Arms to hug with
Lips to kiss with
Someone to adore

How could anybody ask for more?
My needs are small
I buy them all
At the five and ten cent store
Oh, I've got plenty to be thankful for"

No comments:

Post a Comment