Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Joy of Fat Quarters

I am a fabric fondler.  Yes, I admit it here in this public forum.  When I am stressed, bored, happy, curious--it doesn't matter; one of my favorite things to do is to find any kind of fabric shop, go in, admire the colors, and run my hand along the bolts of fabric on the shelves.

For an instant mood-booster, I go to a fabric store or quilt shop and buy fat quarters.  The technical definition of a fat quarter is "One-fourth yard cut of fabric that usually measures 18" x 22" instead of the typical 9" x 42" quarter-yard cut"; all I know is that they are the perfect size and amount of fabric to have on hand once the creative mood strikes me.  I also know that they are an addiction; I can't leave without two or three new items for my stash.
A bundle of fat quarters!
I'm sure the shopkeepers aren't real thrilled at the thought of my hands all over their fabrics, but it really does bring me a sense of peace and contentment.  Maybe it really is the hand of the fabric.  It could also be the possibilities I can see when I look at patterns and colors and textures.  The wonderful experiences I have had creating with fabric--clothes, home items, stuffed animals, holiday gifts and projects, quilts, pillows--have to weigh in there somewhere.  Remembering the wonderful things that my Grandma Jewett could do with a bag of scraps, and the lovely sewing that my mother and my sisters can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment