Thursday, November 10, 2011

Thanksgiving



Don't these Norman Rockwell paintings say it all about the upcoming holiday? 

The left-hand painting (both of these were also among Rockwell's many Saturday Evening Post covers) reminds me so much of Thanksgiving Days at my Grandma and Grandpa Jewett's farm.  That side of the family is literally "cousins by the dozens" (Grandma and Grandpa had eight children, who all had at least two children of their own, and so on, and so on...).  I remember two large dining tables; the adults would eat in the dining room, while the kids would eat on the makeshift table set up on the covered back porch.  The food was always delicious and there was always plenty for everyone.  The cameraderie was wonderful and something that was very much anticipated every year.

The right-hand painting also reminds me of my Grandma Jewett and her kitchen; she even had a little table and chairs like that inside the back door.  Every time I look at this painting, I wonder what the two of them are talking about.  I also get the feeling of thanks that both of them must share; she that her son is home and is safe and healthy, he that is home amongst familiar, safe surroundings and around those who love him dearly.  Such wonderful emotions are shared in these compositions; no wonder they are so beloved, even today.

No comments:

Post a Comment