Wednesday, December 28, 2011

12/27/11--Tool Basket


My latest basket project--a Tool Basket that I completed on 12/27/11 (yes, I missed watching my Boilermakers in the Little Caesar's Bowl to make a basket!).

It was more advanced that anything I had done before, so it took a long time to weave this basket, but I love the finished project!  I had twined before and made a braided rim before, but using a wooden base and randing (the diagonal blue pattern in the "middle" of the basket) was all new to me. Actually, I am scared to death of the braiding, but you do get in a comfortable rhythm doing it and it does go quickly.  I repeat the pattern to myself to make sure I do it correctly.  I'm sure I drive my classmates crazy! :-)

I'll be taking it back to the shop sometime to have it stained a light walnut color.  It will give the natural reed in the basket a nice hue and also make the blues more prominent.  I chose the blues to go with my Pfaltzgraff Yorktowne dishes :-)

Basketworks and More, where I took the class, is the new shop opened by Cheryl McKinsey Dixon, who is the person I originally learned to weave baskets from (at her old shop "The Basketworks", which was located on Earl Avenue in Lafayette).  It's located in the West Lafayette Payless shopping plaza; stop by to see her baskets and her jewelry as well as sampling the coffees and teas she carries.

No comments:

Post a Comment