Monday, December 19, 2011

I'm Dreaming of a Brown Christmas...

... and no, I don't work for UPS :-)

The latest advanced weather forecasts for Lafayette, Indiana indicate that we will be having a brown December 25th (read: no snow) this year.  Kind of a bummer for someone who loves the first snow of the season and snow for Christmas (you can have the rest of it after that time).

What is it about snow and Christmas and me and memories?  It just seems right, seems essential that we have snow for Christmas.  Driving in the snow to relatives' houses, playing in the snow with friends, neighbors, and then nephews, building snowmen and making snow angels, shoveling the wonderful :-) white stuff--it all plays into Christmas memories of my past.

Waking up on that most magical morning, a soft cover of sparkling white snow brings an ethereal appearance to the world.  It helps bring the Christmas story into focus, no room at the inn and a babe born in a manger.  I like to sit by the window early that morning and watch the tree lights come on in windows on my street, just imagining the ruckus going on inside each home as wrapping paper and bows start flying and dreams start coming true.

A lot of folks don't like snow at any time, but for me snow at the holidays brings a smile to my face.  I don't even mind shoveling snow at Christmastime, because of the memories that replay in my mind.  I enjoy the show, believe you me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment