Monday, January 23, 2012

Recycling Cards, Hopes, and Dreams


Looking for a way to recycle old greeting cards?  Or had you heard of places that you could send your old cards, but didn't know exactly where?  Well, I found one for you (see link above).

If you're like me, you are an old sentimental softie who borders on hoarder when it comes to any kind of card--holiday, birthday, thank you, you name it.  I even saved the cards my students made for me when I was a substitute teacher in one of our local school corporations.

According to the website for St. Jude's Ranch for Children (see link above), the organization was founded in 1967 by a priest for the purpose of healing and caring for abused, abandoned and neglected children.  So sad to think that there is a need for such a place, but thank goodness for these people who nurture these children and give them hope.

The Recycled Card Program accepts used all-occasion cards year round, and the children at St. Jude's Ranch turn the fronts of the cards into "new" cards and sell them as part of a program teaching them entrepreneurial skills.  What a great thing for these children to experience, and I'm going to do my small part to help.  Cards going out as soon as I secure an envelope big enough.  Hope you do it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment