Monday, January 30, 2012

A Touch of the Past, Alive and Well in 2012

This past Saturday dawned as a sunny, beautiful day despite the winds and colder temperatures.  So I decided to do something I hadn't done for awhile; I hit the road and visited the little town/Indianapolis suburb of Zionsville, Indiana.  It's about a 45-minute trip from my house and partially on I-65, so it is a very easy trip for me to make. When we get a break in the Indiana winter weather like we had Saturday, it's almost a bonus to get to make the trip!

Zionsville is a town that has embraced the charm of older homes and brick streets and local businesses and made itself a true destination.  It's also a zip to the northwest side of Indy from Michigan Road.  It's a moneyed town; very obvious in the level of care of the buildings and public places and by observing the locals (dress, cars, etc.).

The brick main street is just as charming as can be and is flanked on both sides by unique, locally-owned shops and restaurants.  Tucked in between here and there are gorgeous alleys and courtyards, like the one in the photo above.  This place just oozes charm!

Eagle Creek Coffee Company
at 10 S Main, Zionsville
Although there IS a counted cross stitch shop in Zionsville (yes, I successfully wore my blinders!), my primary destination was a place called Eagle Creek Coffee Company.  This quaint, cozy little restaurant is on a corner along the main street and offers excellent food and drink and a quiet atmosphere for reading, thinking or enjoying the company of others.  I highly recommend it for those that want just a place to rest their feet and enjoy a good coffee drink or maybe a cup of soup and half a sandwich (my choice on that day).  I promise it will recharge your batteries.

Visiting small towns that have realized the value of their past is one of my favorite things to do.  I'm fortunate Zionsville is so close; I can visit and enjoy and recharge often.

Eagle Creek Coffee Company Website

No comments:

Post a Comment