Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Mindfulness

I've been doing some reading and brushing up on anxiety and panic, which, unfortunately, I have had to cope with for far too long a time in my life.  As a matter of fact--and this is sad--I almost don't remember the days before anxiety/panic became such a big part of my life.  I don't want to say normal, because what exactly IS normal?  But it has been a long time.

An interesting concept that is woven throughout my recent reading is mindfulness. Mindfulness is not thinking of the future at this point in time, telling the past you will take care of it in a bit, and just being fully and completely aware of NOW.

It is a kind of meditation to help you block everything out, to put yesterday in a box and put tomorrow on a shelf, and be "in" today. But it has proven to be helpful to me. If I just slow it down and concentrate on the here and now, I find I manage much better.

Being mindful is not a "sexy" 21st century concept; you definitely can't multitask and be mindful at the same time. Maybe as more of us start suffering from our stressed out, overloaded lifestyles, mindfulness will become more mainstream--for all of us.  Let's hope so, for all our sakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment