Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Comedian of the Bird World

Two days this week, I have been fortunate enough to find the back swimming pool parking lot at Armstrong Park open.  At lunch, unless I get an invite from very special (to me) people, I like to spend my hour alone and away.  This particular lot is semi-secluded (except in the summer!) and is wooded/natural on three sides, which allows me to also birdwatch while I relax and enjoy a bite to eat.

Both days, I have had lunchtime entertainment.  A northern mockingbird (see stock photo) has performed his song and sound routine for me at some point during the hour.  Mr. Mockingbird has lifted my spirits and put a smile on my face, and for that I am very grateful.

Mockingbirds can and do imitate other birds, other animals, and other sounds (yes, I have heard them do buzzers, pigs, dogs, cats, and sirens).  When I lived on the farm, I would be out working in the garden and one would land nearby and start his comedy routine.  The sound, accuracy and pace of the performance is almost manic; one after another after another after another.  And so darned real!  I would always stop and listen to the entire routine (never did get much hoeing or weeding done). Every once in awhile during this spiel, they will fly upward in a little spiral and land again on their perch, much like an exclamation point.   It was an absolute treat to listen to him sing and dance.

Sunshiny days alone at the park are one of my special treats to myself--but Mr. Mockingbird is welcome to join me any time he wants.

Listen To a Northern Mockingbird/Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology

No comments:

Post a Comment