|Coconut Pound Cake|
Good Lord in Heaven above, I think I have just discovered my Achilles' heel. I found this recipe for Coconut Pound Cake and liketa died (one of my favorite Southern expressions).
I have this thing for pound cake lately. I don't know if it is the density of the finished product, or the strong flavor that a pound cake can deliver, but I find myself looking for pound cake recipes to add to my collection more and more often.
This one is just decadent-sounding. Full disclosure--I have not made it yet, but it is certainly on my list to try soon, and I am even considering it as a county fair open show exhibit. I will keep you all up-to-date on how this project goes.
INGREDIENTS for the Cake:
2 C all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 C butter at room temperature
2 C sugar
5 eggs at room temperature
1 C whole or lowfat milk
1 t coconut extract
3.5 oz Angel Flake sweetened, shredded coconut
INGREDIENTS for the Glaze:
2 T unsweetened coconut milk (or regular milk)
1/2 t coconut extract
1/2 to 1 C confectioner's sugar
- Preheat over to 325 degrees F.
- Grease and lightly flour a 9" or 10" tube pan.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In separate bowl, use electric mixer on medium speed to cream butter and sugar till fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Add in eggs, one at a time, and mix well.
- Stir in milk, coconut extract, and shredded coconut.
- Finally, add flour, baking powder and salt mixture, and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake till golden brown, about 1 hour.
- Prepare glaze: whisk together coconut milk, coconut extract, and confectioner's sugar will smooth, adding more sugar as needed to thicken glaze or more milk to thin it out.
- Cool cake in pan for 5-10 minutes before removing.
- Drizzle with glaze while cake is still warm.