Monday, May 7, 2012

The Thrill of the Hunt

What is it about me and those darned dollar bins at retail stores?

Is it the love of a bargain, the thrill of the hunt?  Dollar bins to me are like riding your bike to the drug store in the summertime and buying all of those different flavors of Bubs Daddy bubble gum for 5 cents apiece (I am relatively certain we will never see prices like that again in our lifetimes).

I went to the drug store the other day to buy my mom a Mother's Day card.  That was it; Mother's Day card.  I needed absolutely NOTHING else at that particular moment.  But somehow two $1 microfiber cleaning cloths found their way into my shopping bag at the checkout counter.

Don't get me started on the cool stuff bins at the Michaels arts and crafts supply store in my town.  Pencils, notepads, recipe cards, nail files--OMG.  I cleaned up there on my Christmas stocking shopping for the ladies on my list last holiday season.  My coworkers can always tell when I've been at Michaels during my lunch hour because I come back bearing gifts of pencils.

And the trial size bins--good grief, there's trouble with a capital "T".  Not only can you try out new stuff, but buy just the perfect size of shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, whatever for a trip at a really cheap price.  Great gifts for dirty bingo and the like can be found in the trial size section--last Christmas, one of my 20-something nephews got a trial-size box of Hello Kitty Bandaids for a prize that I found in the trial size bins at Walgreens.

It probably is not even close to economical to buy products from the trial-size bin, and most of the dollar bin items, especially the plastic ones, tend to break or become nonfunctional in a very short period of time.  But I think it's the thrill--the thrill of spending very little money to get something you "need", the thrill one gets from finding something really cool and really inexpensive.  Long live the dollar bins!

No comments:

Post a Comment