Friday, May 25, 2012

Who Plants a Seed...

"Who plants a seed beneath the sod
And waits to see, believes in God." --anonymous

I cross stitched this saying once.  Darned if I can find the finished piece now, but that's another story.

I got the 2012 garden plot planted a couple of weeks ago, and every evening when I get home from work, I make the trip out to the backyard to check for progress.  I was rewarded a couple of nights ago when I discovered sunflower, cardinal climber and green beans sticking their tiny heads up above the soil.  Only the nasturtiums need to make their presence known, and everything I planted will be accounted for.

I can't even begin to describe the joy and excitement and accomplishment I feel when I see a seed just starting to live its life as a plant.  Obviously, I did something right, and now I am responsible for helping that seed reach its fullest potential.  Quite like being a parent of a child.  I will be watering and weeding and hoeing and hopefully harvesting the fruits of my labor, all courtesy of the energy and determination of those little seeds planted beneath the sod.

It is so hot right now in Indiana (weekend forecast is for 95 degrees both days) that I will be watering about every other day until some rain decides to fall.  But I don't mind because I know what the payoff will be.  Around August, when I am eating a freshly-picked tomato from the garden and the juice is dribbling off my chin--well, my early-season efforts will have been worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment