Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Never, EVER Forget...


I still remember so much about this day; it's just like it was yesterday.  Watching the TV at work all day and trying to get on the Internet, which was almost impossible because so many people around the world were trying to do the same thing.

Going across the street at lunch to pick up a bite to eat and the sky was eerily quiet, since all airplane traffic had been grounded that day.  Seeing the faces of the people in the convenience store I went to; all grim faces, lots of set jaws, anger and fear and sadness etched in their expressions.

A few nights later, sitting in my living room, I was listening to the President speak.  Being warm that September, all of my windows and my front door were open.  All of a sudden, I heard the unmistakeable roar of jet engines to my east--many planes based at the Grissom Air Reserve Complex were headed somewhere on some mission.  That memory still gives me goosebumps.

And all the days that followed, watching the firefighters and rescue personnel searching frantically and fruitlessly (as it turned out) for any signs of life, then any signs of remains.  So gutwrenching.

The thing that sticks with me is the unfathomable hate and evil that caused all this.  Who could have that much venom in their souls and minds?  Religion is a wonderful thing, but it can be poison as well.

Never, ever forget that day or the lessons it taught us as free, civilized people.

No comments:

Post a Comment