Wednesday, June 5, 2013

My Crash Course in Becoming a Techie

Ha, ha, ha--I went and did it!  I bought myself a computer.

The first freak out was the day I placed the order, it was unseasonably chilly in Indiana.  I came home to a house that needed the furnace turned on to take the chill out of the air.  Turn dial on thermostat; nothing.  Freeze all night.  Stay at parents the whole weekend because I wasn't going to arrange a service call on Memorial Day Weekend (yes, it was THAT cold).  Take afternoon off work to have serviceman come out, replace blower motor to the tune of $437.99 (which is cheaper than I thought it was going to be, so I'm not complaining).

Shout out to Mecko's Heating and Cooling and Jerry Leming for the great, professional service!

Anyhoo, I am great at using computers, but when it comes to the tech side--leaves a bit to be desired.  So I am learning all about technology the quick way by setting up the thing myself.

First "mistake"--when I bought the computer, I saw the words "Windows 8" and somehow came to the conclusion that that meant Microsoft Office was installed on it.  Duh.  Well, I have now given myself an opportunity to learn how to install Microsoft Office on a HP Pavilion Desktop All-In-One.

Last night, I got Windows 8 activated with the help of the HP tech support person.  I feel like such a freakin' genius!  The guy was Indian or Pakistani, so he was very hard to understand (overseas call centers, you know), but I "got" enough that I was able to do it flawlessly.  Dang!

Now, I think my next step is to get internet access.  I think everything I need to do from this point is going to be downloads and the like.  There's an exciting new fiber optic option beta testing right now in town that I want to explore.  They offer bundling of services, so they will be competing (finally, someone will be competing) with Comcast.  I am very interested in finding out more.

So proud I just needed to share!  I will keep you all updated on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment