Thursday, July 25, 2013

2013--County Fair Success!

I took a huge leap of faith this year and entered eight items in the Tippecanoe County Home and Family Arts Open Show, which is held during the annual Tippecanoe County 4-H Fair (this year, the Fair is July 20-27).

First huge accomplishment--I actually finished and entered all eight exhibits!  I have found in past years that my eyes are bigger than my stomach, so to speak.  Lesson learned; you don't have to do it all in one year.

Second huge accomplishment--I got blue ribbons on all eight exhibits!  I was very happy, to say the least.  Since my 4-H days, my goal every year in doing this is to win a blue ribbon.  I am very proud and pleased that the judges felt my handwork was of that quality.

Third huge accomplishment--I received two Sweepstakes ribbons and two Reserve Sweepstakes ribbons!  When projects are evaluated, the judge picks a Sweepstakes (best) and Reserve Sweepstakes (second) in each class.  I won Sweepstakes with my muffin basket and the play hutch built by my Dad for the three of us girls, which I entered in the Collectibles division.  My Reserve Sweepstakes wins were for my oval wood bottomed basket and my Cherry Almond Quick Bread.

I was nervous about that baking; I really had not done it competitively for about 20 years, believe it or not.  I was very pleasantly surprised with the outcome.  I was more nervous that I ever was for 4-H judging, believe me!

Such a fun community event!  And, since you can take the girl out of 4-H but you can't take 4-H out of the girl, I think I have a permanent case of that bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment