Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Recipe--Nutty Banana Bread

A recipe for banana nut bread is something that everyone has, everyone uses, and everyone swears by.  This recipe for Nutty Banana Bread is that for me.

In 1985 or thereabouts, I was lucky enough to get a copy of a cookbook called "Capture the Flavor", which was published by Favorite Recipes Press.  The cookbook is full of recipes from Indiana State Fair 4-H Foods prizewinning recipes in the previous year's fair.  Cakes, cookies, muffins, yeast rolls, quick breads, cakes--all there.

This is my cookbook--like one everyone else has--that is stained, dog-eared, marked with substitutions.  It is my go-to book and this is my go-to recipe when I have bananas that are ready to turn to mush.

Nutty Banana Bread

1 c sugar
2 T shortening (I use butter)
1 egg
3/4 C milk
1 C mashed bananas (I use three bananas for stronger flavor)
2 C flour
3 1/2 t baking powder
1 t salt
3/4 C chopped nuts (My preference is walnuts)

Mix sugar, shortening and egg in bowl.  Stir in milk and bananas.  Add sifted dry ingredients; mix well.  Fold in nuts.  Spoon into greased 5" x 9" loaf pan.  Let stand for 20 minutes.  Bake at 350 degrees for 70 minutes or until bread tests done.

Thank you, Krista Nichols of Union County (back in 1984), for sharing this yummy recipe that always turns out great!

No comments:

Post a Comment