Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Recipe--Slow-Cooker Smoky Ham and Navy Bean Stew

If you live the in the Midwest during the winter of 2013-2014, you know that the snow and cold have been relentless.  We have mild winters for the most part the past few years, so I think we were due for a whopper--and we certainly have gotten it! 

As a matter of fact, today--February 4--all the weather forecasts are predicting anywhere from 6"-12" of snow for my part of Indiana.  When I hear a forecast like that, one of the first things that enters my mind is how goooooood a pot of homemade soup would be.  Searching for some new soups to add to my "repertoire", I found this recipe from Pillsbury that I may have to try yet this week; after all, another storm is headed our way for the weekend.

SLOW-COOKER SMOKY HAM AND NAVY BEAN STEW

1 lb. cooked ham, cut into 1/2" cubes (3 C)
1 C dried navy beans, sorted and rinsed
Slow-Cooker Smoky Ham and Navy Bean Stew
2 medium stalks celery, sliced (1 C)
1 small onion, chopped (1/4 C)
2 medium carrots, sliced (1 C)
2 C water
1/4 t dried thyme leaves
1/4 t liquid smoke
1/4 C chopped fresh parsley

In 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, mix all ingredients except parsley.  Cover; cook on low heat setting 10 to 12 hours or until beans are tender.  Stir in parsley before serving.

Makes: 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment