Friday, December 12, 2014

Home At the Holidays

In my basement, there is a treasure trove of shutters--indoor, outdoor, wood tones and painted, many sizes and styles. These shutters were a kind of "inheritance" from the former (original) owners of the home, who I think had some combination of shutters on every window in the house when I moved in eight years ago.  At that time, I had removed many of them because the house always seemed so dark with them in the windows.

I haven't even counted them yet to see how many I do have, but I have been pulling them out of the rafters of the basement, just to look at them and to see what I can do with them.  There are so many unique designs--the familiar louvered panel, solid wood panels, glass insets in panels.  

Right now on Pinterest and in home and craft magazines, shutters are hot decorator/DIY items.  I have seen everything from bookshelves to wardrobes to plant stands made out of repurposed shutters.  As a matter of fact, I have taken four of them and am in the process of creating a fire screen for the fireplace in the living room.  I earlier made a divider screen with larger outdoor-type shutters that now lives in my family room

Since it's Christmas and I always like to add things to my holiday decor to keep things fresh (and as time and my budget will allow), I was wandering around my house, matching and rearranging different items to see how they looked together.  I took the evergreen swag, which I had had for a while, and one of the shutters (which fortunately had been painted red at some point in the past), and put the two together.  Just like peanut butter and chocolate, the separate items together created a very comfy, rustic Christmas feel.  I strung a bit of floral wire to the back like a picture frame hanger, and voila!  This pretty piece now graces a doorway inside my house.  I did try to hang it outside (as shown here), but the wind can be pretty stiff across my porch in the wintertime and I didn't feel comfortable leaving it there.

Creativity--and necessity--can sometimes join together to be the co-mothers of invention.  I'm proud that I might have hit that sweet spot with this piece of inspiration.  Hopefully, there are more like this to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment